Pages

When You Grind For a Living, Life Tends to Grind You Back

Thursday, October 21, 2010

I Win, I Lose, I Learn

Well, this month has been interesting to say the least.

I won the TPC Rock the Dream event at Midas Touch, the price being an APT Macau package. Still not thinking about this, as I have people behind me. It was nice to win one. I sincerely believe that the winner take all format helped my game. I keep telling my tablemates that there will be no regrets to what I do, since there's no bubble. Hmmm, that's it, I guess there's not much to talk about. Thank you Jester Intia and Ron Regis of APA.

Next tournament, the Actors' Guild Charity 2M event. Busted out on level 2, the quintessential setup KK vs. AA. The said holder of AA eventually won the whole thing (congrats reggie_g) so I guess it's meant to be. To be honest, this was the tournament I really wanted to win. I told coach about it and he said maybe my different mindsets in the different tournaments really change my game. In the TPC i was playing to win it. I couldn't say I did not do the same at the 2M tournament, it was merely a bad run of cards. But I will remember to always play to win it. No regrets.

For my online grind, I was running so bad my EV line and my green line are making a wide angle. Despite this string of bad luck, I managed to grind away and recoup some (part, most, a little bit, im not sure. I think half and some) of my losses.

Been playing a lot of live cash games lately. It's nice to play live after weeks of online. It reminds you that people are interesting, and that you can still be surprised by the world (in the form of a tagalog speaking korean). Poker-wise, I get to observe my game under a microscope and see what I lack (which is aggression for the most part, and the lack of gall to pull triggers on obvious signs of weakness. This I got to apply online, which was soo fun. I've never 3betted and squeezed so much before hahaha. I hope i can do the same live.

I realize that it's not even the end of the month yet, so no closing remarks as of yet. Sorry if this entry is poorly constructed, I dont usually take caffeine so i'm on overdrive. At least I still use spacing and punctuation. Til next time.

5 comments:

  1. the no-bubble thing really clarifies your play, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. but bubble time's the most fun part of the tournament. hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @red - Yeah it does, I was focused on chip accumulation more than anything. I guess that's really the way to go.

    @mosh - It's only fun when yo have chips hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. did johann play in this tourney? haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. checking your milestones and have some thoughts:

    1. show me how to make a gadget like this, it's very cool!

    2. target Turn AF 2.5!!!

    3. What is the holdup with your W$WSF >42 ???

    4. new target: PFR 14! (2/3 of your playing range)

    5. wish you well on the stabs, hope to see you as a reg on NL30 real soon!

    ReplyDelete

The Poker Mindset

POKER is NOT about making money.

Yes, we measure ourselves by that bottom line, BUT Poker is all about making the right decisions - the best possible decision with regards to that bottom line. It's about making a decision with the best long-term outcome. It's about making this decision EVERY TIME, at EVERY MOMENT, and at EVERY CROSSROAD.

The money we make is just the result that REWARDS the decisions we make.

We are not here "to make money" - if you play that way, you will inevitably make the wrong decisions...even when you do get lucky.

DO THE RIGHT THING. Drop your ego and fold to the outrageous bluff-raise. Make that positive EV call even if it means you could get stacked. Use your best judgment with the available information every time.

Do the right thing, and the rewards will follow.

This is how we play. This is how we live.