Pages

When You Grind For a Living, Life Tends to Grind You Back

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Self Improvement

Another Month Another Level Another Challenge!

November is looking good so far. I've been doing ok online and I've moved up another stake. The games are considerably tougher though and it looks a little bit like reg-town so I gotta step up my game and get rid of those bad habits. It's harder to push players around and it doesn't pay to play chill and slightly passive anymore. HUD use would be essential, and studying the intricacies of the game will feel necessary and compulsory real soon.

So first stop we have to set some new playing goals. As you can see on the widget on the right I've changed some of my target stats (thanks coach Ron). I guess the extra PFR will come from squeezing, employing blind gambits (squeezing limpers, picked up this term from 2p2) and restealing. Maybe I can 3bet lighter in general but that needs some study and some decent hands sample size from my opponents. Turn AF will probably take care of itself as I don't plan to be on the calling end as often as in the micros. And that W$WSF would probably be easier in this stake since there'll be less limp pots or multiway raised pots. I've also bookmarked a list of poker readings that can help me move up easily. I guess one reading a day will do me loads of good.

I've been playing to "not lose" as opposed to playing to win or making the right decisions some weeks ago, but I don't feel it as strongly now. I have a long blog entry draft on the subject but I decided not to publish it since I felt it's only a phase. The next time I feel it I guess I'll have to go back to that draft and see what I did to overcome it or what triggers it in the first place. I've decided to put a mantra widget on the bottom of every post to remind me how I should be playing. For now I'll borrow coach's article on the proper mindset until I need to remind myself about other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Poker Mindset

POKER is NOT about making money.

Yes, we measure ourselves by that bottom line, BUT Poker is all about making the right decisions - the best possible decision with regards to that bottom line. It's about making a decision with the best long-term outcome. It's about making this decision EVERY TIME, at EVERY MOMENT, and at EVERY CROSSROAD.

The money we make is just the result that REWARDS the decisions we make.

We are not here "to make money" - if you play that way, you will inevitably make the wrong decisions...even when you do get lucky.

DO THE RIGHT THING. Drop your ego and fold to the outrageous bluff-raise. Make that positive EV call even if it means you could get stacked. Use your best judgment with the available information every time.

Do the right thing, and the rewards will follow.

This is how we play. This is how we live.