Pages

When You Grind For a Living, Life Tends to Grind You Back

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

*KAPOW!* *SOCK!* *WHAM!* *BIFF!*

"Holy knuckle duster Berto!!! Why are you punching yourself?!"

Because I made a stupid noob moronic play with AQ, that's why. I knew I was behind. I knew he had AK, only an AK would flat a 3bet in position and repop a cbet on an A high board. I knew it, I was absolutely sure of it, I was entirely convinced he had AK. Honest to goodness, I even felt it. How the holy hell did I conclude that 3bet shoving would be the best thing to do? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!


Because I'm still feeling rushed, that's why. I'm still rushing the big pots because I'm still in a race for time. I've been too busy these past few weeks that my poker time is so limited. And when I grind I feel like I'm on a time limit and that I should make the most out of it. That usually makes me do stupid things.


I think I'm gonna go down in limit for now to find my rhythm, much like what Albert is doing. It's better than having to move down bankrollwise, which is a little discouraging. I'm doing this to take the edge off, which is going to allow me to make a better grind structure, one that allows for some compromise without throwing a wrench in other aspects of my life. In theory I can think clearly when my bankroll is not as threatened, and the previous limit is the limit I crushed the most. I seek to find my rhythm, have some structure, build some confidence and get some momentum going.

I'M GOING TO FIND MY RHYTHM. I AM GOING TO FIND MY CENTER. I AM GOING TO MAKE THE RIGHT DECISIONS. I WILL NOT THINK ABOUT PROFITS OR TIME. I'M GOING TO CRUSH IT. LET'S DO THIS!


4 comments:

  1. Relax bro. One hand is one hand. Get over it. Next hand please. :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah, it's not the hand per se, it's the underlying reason why i played it that way. The root of the problem so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yea bro, do not play on a "schedule that ends" or else you are racing against the "end" of the grind... para kang nag tourney nyan, you will be opening and shoving wider the last hour lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy crap coach, that's exactly what's happening to me. My bankroll and my sanity is suffering for it. Sweat/coaching session sometime?

    ReplyDelete

The Poker Mindset

POKER is NOT about making money.

Yes, we measure ourselves by that bottom line, BUT Poker is all about making the right decisions - the best possible decision with regards to that bottom line. It's about making a decision with the best long-term outcome. It's about making this decision EVERY TIME, at EVERY MOMENT, and at EVERY CROSSROAD.

The money we make is just the result that REWARDS the decisions we make.

We are not here "to make money" - if you play that way, you will inevitably make the wrong decisions...even when you do get lucky.

DO THE RIGHT THING. Drop your ego and fold to the outrageous bluff-raise. Make that positive EV call even if it means you could get stacked. Use your best judgment with the available information every time.

Do the right thing, and the rewards will follow.

This is how we play. This is how we live.